LL-L "Games" 2008.04.18 (09) [E]

Sat Apr 19 00:32:48 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 April 2008 - Volume 09
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Games"

Beste Mark,

You wrote:

Pigeons had (for all I know still have) the same domestic status as dogs &
horses. Only unregenerate parvenus would stoop to eating the noble bird.
Don't you have chickens?

Oops, maybe we're just cannibals, but we eat them all: horses and pigeons,
and even dogs (the latter only during wartime, nickname of inhabitants of
Boom still is "d'honnefrètters"). Pigeon meat is considered a delicacy, and
used to be given only to ill people or people recovering from a disease;
nowadays, you can buy pigeon in most supermarkets. At the same time, the
bird is still held in high regard though.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx