LL-L "History" 2008.04.19 (07) [E/French]

Sun Apr 20 01:44:10 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 19 April 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <thijs.roger at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L History

A couple of weeks ago I have sent in some info about the Hanze offices in
Bruges and Antwerp. I still have to scan more about Antwerp, when I have
some more time.
I think *Hanze offices* were in the scope of Ron's projects. I presume *Hanze
towns* are not.
I was today in *Dinant*, which has been some kind of a Hanze town. (The only
Hansetown in the Romance language area)
Sights from the Citadel this very rainy afternoon:
to the North: http://www.euro-support.be/temp/dino.jpg
to the South: http://www.euro-support.be/temp/diso.jpg

Dinant is now part of the Belgian province of Namur.
Map: http://www.euro-support.be/temp/din.jpg
The former rival town *Bouvignes* (top left on the map) belonged to the
Burgondian County of Namur.
Before 1795 Dinant belonged to the Principality of Liege.

*Leffe* on top of the map may be best known to the members in the group:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leffe

I don't have an local history of Dinant at home, but here is what I found:
*"... Les marchands de cuivre de Dinant font partie de la Hanse de Londres
et de la Hanse Teutonique et ils ont participé du XIIe au XVe siècle au
grand commerce international..."*
Dinant, p. 381-382 in Communes de Belgique Wallonie - tome 1, A-Lit,
Brussels, 1980
The references at the end of the lemma may contain more info:
*E. Gérard, Histoire de la ville de Dinant, Namur, 1936
H. Hachez, Histoire de la ville de Dinant, Bruxelles, 1932*
but I cannot verify.

The fatal last year may have been 1466 when the town (belonging then to the
principality of Liège) suffered from a total destruction by the Burgondians.

Etymology (Carnoy):
*Divo-nanto* (gaulique): holly valley
*divon-ant:* habitation at the holly river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinant
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinant
*Copper *made it famous:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinanderie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolphe_Sax

Other references on the web;

http://www.geo.ulg.ac.be/liege/principaute/dinant.htm
*... Le grand essor de Dinant se produit entre le 12e et le 15e siècles
grâce au travail du cuivre, appelé dinanderie. Les marchands de cuivre
contribuent au commerce international et ils font partie de la Hanse de
Londres et de la Hanse teutonique....*

http://digistore.bib.ulb.ac.be/2006/a12965_000_f.pdf
*28 pages*: *Pirenne: Dinant dans la Hanse Teutonique*, 1904

http://www.fabrice-muller.be/liege/histoire/bonnes-villes/dinant.html
*... Le grand essor de Dinant se produit entre le XIIe et le XVe siècles
grâce au travail du cuivre, appelé dinanderie. Les marchands de cuivre
contribuent au commerce international et ils font partie de la Hanse de
Londres et de la Hanse teutonique.*

http://perso.infonie.be/liege06/09neufj.htm
Note 2 at the bottom: ...*La ville de Dinant faisait partie de la hanse
teutonique qui jouissait de grands privilèges commerciaux en Angleterre...*
**
Regards,
Roger

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Thanks, as always, dear Roger.

Both Hanseatic offices and Hanseatic cities (town), any relevant places, are
of interest to this longer-term project.