LL-L "Romance connections" 2008.04.20 (05) [D/E]

Sun Apr 20 16:55:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 20 April 2008 - Volume 05
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Romance connections" 2008.04.07 (02) [D/E]

> From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Romance connections" 2008.04.06 (05) [D/E]
> Weet iemand of de andere namen ook een Vlaams equivalent hebben?
> Amont
> Amiens
> Naours
> Diederik

Jozef van Overstraeten, in *"De Nedelanden in Frankrijk*", 1969, Antwerpen,
Vlaamse Toeristenbond, geeft in regel de Nederlandse naam, waar die bestaat.

*Amiens* p. 33-35 moet het doen zonder vertaling, de rivier Somme wordt
echter *Zomme.*
In 786 the bisschop Joris of Amiens is qualified as "*theodiscus*"

*Amont* is not listed (his focus is just on Nord-Pas-de-Calais and just some
border areas)

*Naours *is listed p. 401, but without Dutch name.

I found an unusual etymology for
*Marck* ("Merk" in Dutch) PdC, district of Calais ("Kales" in Dutch) p. 363
- was the location of the Roman post *Marci*
(with a legion of Dalmatian cavalrymen in the 4th and 5th century)
"*Equites Dalmatiae Marcis in littore Saxonico"*
*Merk* 1121 <- Germ. *Markja* <-- oG *Markó* swampy
I'm not certain whether van Overstraeten was good in etymology.
I think the use of the name "mark" for counties at the borderline of the
empire came some centuries later.
Regards,
Roger