LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.21 (06) [E]

Mon Apr 21 20:16:35 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 April 2008 - Volume 06
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.04.21 (01) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

Having listened to a part of the Pope's homile delivered during a mass at
Yankee Stadium today, I was reminded again that what the average US American
considers a "typical" German accent is a Bavarian or an otherwise southern
one.....

I was watching "The Daily Show" with John Stewart the other day (we get it
in Britain about 12 hours after the Eastern States).

I usually like Stewart's humour, but he made a disturbing (for me) comment
about the Pope's accent, along the lines of:
"Prayers for peace on Earth somehow don't sound right in that accent do
they?..". He then proceeded to give a speech "Ve vill haff ze Peace on Ert!
You vill listen to me!" and so on in that vane, delivered in a fanatical
Hitleresque screech.

OK, Stewart is Jewish and might have an axe to grind, but no German I've
ever met speaks like that and a lot of Americans are of German origin.

As an atheist, the Pope is just another guy to me, but he deserves better
than that. If he'd come from West Africa, Stewart wouldn't have mocked his
speech that way.

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Paul,

I understand that Stewart has been taken to task by some sections of the
media and such, and supposedly he has apologized.

There's no excuse for this sort of thing as a public persona in a public
forum, and it's quite contrary to today's code of ethics in the US. So far I
have witnessed this sort of "running off of the mouth" only in ... well ...
less than intellectual shows such as Howard Stern's, who told Milly Venilly
(sp?) that they can't possibly be German and that, if they were, they must a
heck of a time over there, and ("Oh, grow up!") Joan Rivers who used to tell
funny horror stories about Lufthansa stewardesses. I hasten to add that,
while these persons happen to be of Jewish descent, this sort of behavior
used to transcend ethnic lines. These days the general guideline for
comedians seems to be: if you need to make fun of an ethnic group, use your
own -- and even that can be hurtful. Furthermore, the general American code
of ethics does not condone ridicule across religious lines. However,
comedians that grew up Roman Catholic regularly indulge in such ridicule.

I'm not saying that these days there are no hidden prejudices against
Germans in this country, among Jews or otherwise. (And remember that many
American Jews are German as well, which you can tell by the accents of those
that grew up in Germany, such as Dr. Ruth.)  But it is unusual for people to
act on it in public. Personally I have so far not experienced any such
expressed sentiments. My two best American friends happen to be Jewish, and
I am on excellent and in some cases friendly terms with all practicing and
non-practicing Jews with whom I have regular contacts. This includes
professional superiors who have chosen to give me commendations and
excellent references.

I consider John Stewart's outburst an aberration.