LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.24 (03) [E]

Fri Apr 25 03:28:48 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 April 2008 - Volume 03
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.04.24 (01) [E]

xə], SAMPA [ma'lo:x@]) 'hard work', 'hard labor', which, via Rotwelsch and
Yiddish מלאכה *melokhe* 'work', 'trade', goes back to Hebrew מְלָאכָה *
mĕlā'xāh* 'labor', 'work'.

Hi Ron, In Dutch we have a verb raggen (ragde geragd) meaning uncontrolled
movement. Like riding on a bike – too fast – and not watching out where
you're going. It is a word that fits in the vocabulary of a male teen-ager.
I would guess that this "rag" is related to French "rage" as in English
enraged. The other meaning of Dutch "rag" is a spiderweb. Fabric is
described as "ragfijn" and we have a special round brush on a stick that is
used for the removal of spider webs, which is called a "ragebol"

That should give you something to play with. Jacqueline