LL-L "Grammar" 2008.08.03 (02) [E]

Mon Aug 4 05:02:22 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 August 2008 - Volume 02

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.08.03 (01) [E]

> From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.08.02 (02) [E]
>
>> From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
>> Subject: Determiners
>>
>> Dear Lowlanders,
>>
>>   Some dialects have dat for "it" or
>> "the". Dutch has "het" from the same
>> origin as English "it" - (hit). Can anyone tell
>> me what was the
>> detreminers declension like in Old Dutch including some
>> nouns? Do you
>> still use declensions in Modern Dutch in any city or
>> countryside?
>>      Ívison
>
> See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Dutch
>
> vr.gr.
> Theo Homan

To my knowledge, though, the old declensional system of Middle Dutch
has been long dead in speech in Low Franconian dialects, even though
aspects of it were retained in writing up until the start of the 20th
century. The only last traces of it that I know of still existing in
Low Franconian proper are that in the Middle Dutch "den" has been
preserved in some Low Franconian dialects such as Zeelandic dialects
as a means of marking masculine nouns in a way more clearly
distinguished from feminine nouns (whereas in Standard Dutch the two
are only distinguished by the pronouns one uses to refer to them).