LL-L "Abbreviations" 2008.08.15 (04) [D/E/LS]

Fri Aug 15 20:57:59 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 August 2008 - Volume 04

From: Arend Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Abbreviations" 2008.08.15 (02) [E]

Moi Pat,

 Misschien heb ie wel wat an de onderstaonde Link

Kan GR Gram betieken?

 http://users.telenet.be/willy.vancammeren/pca/oude_eenheden.htm

 Goodgaon

Arend Victorie

 ----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>

 *> From: Pat Reynolds <**pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk* <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
*>**
> Subject: Currency abbreviations in 15th century Dutch
> Dear Friends,
> I have been asked by a friend for help with translating a medieval
document (for her family history, which involves Scots people in Rotterdam).
 One point that I don't understand (perhaps because they h is the currency -
a typical entry is "117 symbol like a U with a line through it = fl =
guilders) 16s18d. GR"  What does the 'GR' mean?  And I thought there were
only 8 duits to the stuiver .... This could be a really odd way of writing
117 pounds, 16 shillings, 18 pence - but again there are 12 pence to the
shilling, so that doesn't make sense, either¬

*

I found this in a Flemish genealogical magazine.

It's about Flemish money (of the County of Flanders), I may help though.

quote:

De voornaamste onderverdelingen van de *pond groten Vlaams* zijn:

de *schelling *(1/20 pond)

en de *groot* (1/240 pond).

Soms wordt deze groot nog onderverdeel in

*penningen* of *denieren* (1/2880 pond)

Daarnaast rekent men vanaf de 16e eeuw ook veel met

*guldens* van 40 Vlaamse groot wisselgeld (1/6 pond),

onderverdeeld in 20 *stuivers *(1/120 pond).

end quote.