LL-L "Orthography" 2008.08.17 (01) [E]

Sun Aug 17 08:13:57 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 August 2008 - Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2008.08.16 (02) [E]

Dear Tom

Subject: LL-L. Orthography.

"Common spelling mistakes should be accepted into everyday use, not
corrected, a lecturer has said. Ken Smith of Bucks New University says the
most common mistakes should be accepted as "variant spellings" ".

This is not a good idea. As one who came to English very young as a second
language, I learned to hate the idiocentric orthograpy with passion, until
it became clear to me this very shortcoming preserved in its ossified rules
the history of the speech & its development, which I found rather fun. None
of this has a bearing on why it's a bad idea, however I have sympathy with
those who are impatient with it, whether trying to spell or trying to
correct the same, & far be it from me to pretend I can spell well even now.

The problem is exemplified in the alphabetic system of a dictionary. As a
fundamental tool for lucid communication, the speaker is best served by a
minimum of variations in his orthography. The cruellest examples of the
contrary are those languages with prefix mutation, like the Celtic tongues,
& languages like Hebrew that modify a root verb with a small selection of
prefixes. All very well if you know them, but a learner doesn't initially:
Talk to me! I don't want to *think* of trying to learn Japanese, with
Katekana, Hiregama & the radicals of Classical Chinese all together.

True, as with English, all this is the vehicle of the culture, & if you're
stuck with it, ride with it - but don't invite it, don't tolerate it.
Inevitably such changes will occur, & your best option for a language is to
slow the changes down as much as possible.

Mark