LL-L "Language use" 2008.08.22 (01) [E]

Fri Aug 22 18:08:02 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 August 2008 - Volume 01

From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.08.21 (02) [E

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Art" 2008.08.19 (01) [E]

I've often wondered what language(s) Holbein spoke when he first came to
England. Certainly no English; nobody outside the Anglo-Scots area of
Britain did.  Would he have used Latin, or some form of Court French? or
maybe a Continental lowlands language would have been similar enough until
he learned English?

In fact, both George I and George II had problems with their English and
spoke it with a heavy German accent. Their inability to understand it
properly was constitutionally important, as being unable to follow cabinet
meetings of their ministers, they stopped attending them, leaving the prime
minister and other ministers to determine policy without royal interference.
When George II's grandson, George III, who was a native speaker of English,
tried to become involved again, he was accused of undue interference ("The
power of the king has increased, is increasing and ought to be diminished")
and caused a constitutional crisis.

David Clarke

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

The only German communites in England in late Mediaeval/eraly modern times
that I know of were German miners in Derbyshire, though they seem to have
assimilated pretty quickly.  Fixed surnames weren't widespread amongst
common people then, so there aren't even name traces.

The Derbyshire term "toadstone" for basalt is possibly from *totstein*, i.e
it was "dead" because it had no ore in it, though a more plausible origin is
"t'ode stone" -  "the old stone"

Lowlanders were widespread in East Anglia, bringing their skills as drainage
engineers and dam builders, and we have English Van Dykes etc. to this day.
I also read that "nitwit" for a foolish person was from "niet weet", though
I don't know how true that is.

Paul