LL-L "Language use" 2008.08.22 (01) [E]

Sat Aug 23 00:10:21 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 August 2008 - Volume 03

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2008.08.22 (01) [E]

from heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk

David Clarke wrote:  In fact, both George I and George II had problems with
their English and spoke it with a heavy German accent.

Can anyone confirm the old chestnut about George I not being able to
pronounce "Thames" à la anglaise  and only being able to pronounce with a
rich German accent so it sounded like "Tems".

The Court not wishing to correct the King, adopted the pronunciation and
hence forward we say "Tems" and not "Thames"

Heather