LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.08.31 (02) [E]

Sun Aug 31 14:56:29 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 30 August 2008 - Volume 02

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.08.30 (01) [E]

>>More importantly in Hamburg Missingsch, unlike both SG and LS, I would say
*Der is tot gegangen* ("that one has gone dead," a somewhat
>>childish-sounding equivalent of *Der is gestorben*). (The closest LS
equivalent of this seems to be *De is mit Dood afgahn* "*He* has gone off
>>with Death".)
>>
>>Reinhard/Ron

In Dutch this is a very normal construction, doodgaan ('to go dead'), 'ik ga
dood' (I'm dieing!) Van roken ga je dood (smoking kills, litt. from smoking
you go dead) etcetera; without any childish feeling to it

Greetings, Diederik

----------

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.08.30 (02) [E/LS]

It's not Missingsch but in my Lonerland Limburgish it is standard to say.

"Hië es dowd bleve".

E.g. "Hië es dowd bleve in den orlog" "He has died during the war",

almost, but not necessarely, in a sense "The war killed him"

"Blijven" is one of the verbs forming a participle without ge- suffix.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>

R/R wrote,

One of the reasons why I am interested in these expressions is that they
remind me very much of the use of certain verbs in the Altaic, especially
Turkic languages. (Not that I think there's a direct link, though.) Among
the Turkic ones are *qal-* ("to remain"), *kät-* ("to go") and *tart-* ("to
drag (into)") which as ordinary or auxiliary verbs come to connote resulting
permanent or temporary states, each with different shades of meaning.

And, of course, similar "grammaticalization" of these or similar terms is
found elsewhere. Japanese, for instance, has it of course: e.g. ame ga futte
kimasita. (though one MIGHT argue that Jpanese is an Altaic language ...
though I myself remain quite agnostic); even English has it (though perhaps
only as idiom): e.g. My bag went missing. Perhaps, impressionistically, go
and come are the most common, remain is still fairly common ... and drag
(into) (and similarly semantically highly specified verbs) are found only
sproadically. (That is, any specific semantic term is foudn in a few
languages, and another languages has its own peculiar verbs it choses to
use.)

PS Have just spent a marvelous week in one of the ancestral homelands (gwlad
'yn nhadau) with my wife, and now have 2 weeks plus work at UCLan, Preston
Lancashire before returning to Bombay. If I didn't know what UK weather was
like I would have thought that I brought the monsoons with me from india,
but, I think the rains were here before I came and will still be here after
I leave. Wet or not, Cymru is as beautiful as I remember from my last visit
... 27 years ago??

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ || מייק || மாஇக் || ما
یک
================
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director