LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.07 (01) [E]

Sun Dec 7 18:52:21 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 December 2008 - Volume 01

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.12.06 (01) [E]

Joachim: I cant find any word *os((e)n) meaning hill, etc in Old Norse, but
of course that doesnt mean it doesnt exist

Diederik

----------

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>

Joachim: quick update, I suddenly realised I was stupid and forgot about the
modern Norewgian word ås meaning something like hill, of which the Old Norse
ancestor has to be found under the letter a:

*âs-s *

(3), an., st. M. (a): nhd. Bergrücken; E.: germ. *amsa-, *amsaz, st. M. (a),

Schulter, Rücken (M.); idg. *omesos, *omsos, M., Schulter, Pokorny 778; L.:
Vr

16b

Hope that helps

Diederik

----------

From: Wolfram Antepohl <wolfram at antepohl.se>

Dear Joachim!

To start with, let me thank you for currently being my most reliable input
concerning westphalian platt. In my Swedish "exile" it is not an easy task
to learn Westphalian (which I never learned to speak while still living in
my home town of Lüdenscheid in the Sauerland). Thanks to you and various
sources on the net I may still one day dare to write a few lines.

Concerning old Norse (and modern Scandinavian) however, the Swedish exile is
definitely helpful. And yes: Old Norse "os/as" definitely means
"hill/mountain" and the term is still used in the modern scandinavian
languages. The Swedish word is "Ås". The term indicates a hill or mountain
with vegetation even on the top - in contrast to "fjäll" which is above the
tree border (i.e. a rocky or even icy top). Hence, "os" ought to be adequate
for the "Teutoburger Wald". "A/aa/å" is even today the Scandinavian word for
"river" and is a very common element of settlement names. I think we
mentioned the "os" element in some British settleement names before (in the
"danelag" area).

I am wondering though, if "os" and "a" appear in any other Low Saxon
settlement names?

Greetings

Wolfram