LL-L "Language politics" 2008.12.12 (04) [E]

Fri Dec 12 17:28:35 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 12 December 2008 - Volume 04

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2008.12.12 (03) [E]

Re streetnames in Ofr., Ron you write

But so what?

Ron, I am somewhat surprised by the stance you are taking there
Greetings Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

I don't know what to make of your vague statement above, Mike.

I was saying that I advocate representation of *all* languages recognized
within a given locale. Of course, this presumes that all regional language
be indeed recognized. Personally I am appalled for instance by the
nationalists of Carinthia that keep removing or defacing place and street
signs with Slovenian names next to German ones.

Furthermore, I personally accept the fact that certain places have different
names in different languages, and this includes foreign languages. I would
find it quite silly if we had to switch to "Suomi" from "Finland", to
"Moskva" from "Moscow", to "København" from "Copenhagen", to "Bod" or "Bö"
from "Tibet" (which China wants us to call "Xizang"), to "Nihon" from
"Japan", to "Zhongguo" from "China", to "Chosŏn" from "North Korea", to
"Hanguk" from "South Korea", to "Deutschland" from "Germany", to "Praha"
from "Prague", to "Česká republika" from "Czech Republic", to "Magyarország"
from "Hungary" and so forth. These are examples in English only. There are
similar ones in other languages.

I don't know why this should be surprising, since it has nothing to do with
support for or opposition against fair language representation.