LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.22 (08) [E]

Tue Dec 23 00:22:21 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 22 December 2008 - Volume 08

From: Jorge Potter <jorgepot at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2008.12.21 (04) [E]

The only thing in my submission about the Lowlands is that it is in English,
as were the preponderance of Christmas carols sixty of us sang here last
night.

About 1935 I moved to Dolgeville, NY, named for and by Alfred Dolge, an
immigrant German piano manufacturer, who set up shop, exploiting the local
water power coming down from the Adirondack Mountains. He also set up a
system of forestry, harvesting only the oldest and best trees for piano
sounding boards. That system of forestry is still in effect and has been
taken as a world model for last word, ecological forestry.

Sorry, I'll get to the point... As a kid in Dolgeville, I loved going
around caroling to the old and sick. The best part was that the German
families regaled us with indescriptibly good cookies and sweets.

So now every year we carol to ourselves and feed ourselves--US
*gringos,*Australian, Austrian, British, Cuban, Dutch, Mexican,
Nigerian, Phillipine,
Puerto Rican, Russian, Ukrainian...others have moved away...

"Tis the season to be jolly!" Live it up!
Jorge Potter