LL-L "Resources" 2008.12.23 (01) [E]

Tue Dec 23 15:41:58 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 23 December 2008 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2008.12.22 (10) [E]

Sandy: you make the following remark about the D/E—E/D dictionary.

I remember owning a Dutch-English English-Dutch dictionary where the
English-Dutch half gave the English pronunciations but the Dutch-English
half didn't give the Dutch pronunciations. Perhaps one of the main
reasons for me skipping Dutch at a time when I was trying to learn as
many languages as possible!

After the Dutch "Golden Age" in the 17th century, when many English speaking
people were interested in learning to speak Dutch, the interest gradually
waned and most D/E – E/D dictionaries were made for Dutch people who did
want to learn English. Most of them were printed in the Netherlands,
although often written by a combination of English, American and Dutch
authors. In the last 20 years there has been a renewed interest in the Dutch
language on the part of a younger generation of learners who either have
Dutch ancestors or were interested in what they considered to be the freedom
to be who you are in the Netherlands. Van Dale has recently published a
dictionary which is especially geared to expats. The whole thing is on CD.
The Dutch pronunciation is also given.

http://www.expatica.com/nl/essentials_moving_to/essentials/new-dutch-dictionary-speaks-to-expats-1856.html?ppager=2.
There is also a paper Dictionary issued by Routledge in England as well as
the US. I have heard that it is based on one of the Dutch dictionaries, but
that the Dutch pronunciation has been added. The author is N. Osselton.

Maybe you are still interested? Jacqueline