LL-L "Orthography" 2008.12.24 (02) [E]

Wed Dec 24 19:02:09 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 December 2008 - Volume 02

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2008.12.17 (05) [E]

Hi Ron,

You wrote:

Personally, I don't much care what systems are used as long as they have at
least some consistency and internal integrity.

I do agree. I for myself, I'm definitely in favour of a phonemic spelling.
It's all very interesting to know that e.g. Dutch *pijl *and *peil*, which
today sound exactly the same, go back to 2 words with a different meaning
and a *different pronunciation* in the Middle Ages. The ordinary language
user does not derive any particular benefit from this knowledge. People who
do not agree will object that one and the same spelling for both words will
lead to misunderstanding, which, in my opinion, is complete nonsense. We
don't speak in single words. The meaning will become clear in the context of
a sentence. In 1946 the Spelling Commission for the Dutch language abolished
the distinction between e.ee and o/oo in open syllables as in *regen/deelen,
mogen/hooge.* But it failed, for obscure reasons, to do away with similar
distinctions between *rijk/reis, gauw/*gouw with homonynous diphthongs.

Regards,

Roger Hondshoven

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Thanks Roger. At least *one* person agrees with me. ;-)

When it comes to homophones, we don't get etymological clues in speech. Why
is it so important to get them in writing?