LL-L "Resources" 2008.12.28 (03) [E]

Mon Dec 29 20:44:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2008 - Volume 01

From: Roger Thijs <rogerthijs at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L resources

Thanks for comments sent to me by some of the list.
I must say, reading Afrikaans newspapers as Son, Die Burger, gives no real
problems. Understanding spoken Afrikaans is an other thing, and when
(incidentally) on SABC TV, I often do not not recognize it as Afrikaans at
all. Unfortunately I have to say that fortunately everybody spreaks English
in my neighbourhood. I accidentally answered in Dutch when called on my GSM
today at noon. The caller I have to meet to-norrow replied in perfect Dutch,
with an Hollandish accent.
I must add that some caucasians here speak a kind of English, which is also
quite difficult to understand. It appears a bit alike more Northern English
dialects (Manchester???)

I promised to list some language resources I found.
Here it comes:

1 – Afrikaans language

F.F. Odendal & R.H. Gouws
HAT
Verklarende Handwoordenboek van die Afrikaanse Taal
Vyfde uitgawe [2005], tweede druk 2007   [Eerste uitgawe = 1965]
Pearson Education South Africa, Kaapstad, www.pearsoned.co.za
xxi + 1448 pp, ISBN 978-1-868-91243-8, R 350

Dalene Müller,
Skryf Afrikaans van A tot Z
De essensiële gids vir taalgebruikers,
Eerste uitgawe  [2003], vierde druk 2007,
Pharos Woordeboeke, Kaapstad, www.pharos.co.za
718 pp, ISBN 978-1-86890-037-4,  R 229

Beryl Lutrin, Afrikaans handbook & study guide,
An English student's guide to Afrikaans,
(Senior Primary to Matric and Beyond)
Revised Edition [2004], reprint September 2008 [1st edition = September
1999]
Berlut Books, www.afrikaanshandbook.co.za
120 pp, ISBN 978-0-620-32584-4,  R 159

2 – Multilingual

John Bennet & Ntuseng Tsoeu
Multilingual Illustrated Dictionary
English, IsiZulu, Sesotho, IsiXhosa, Setswana, Afrikaans, Sepedi
First edition 2006,
Pharos Dictionaries, Cape Town
373 pp., 978-0-7021-6712-6, R 160

Isabel Uys,
The English Afrikaans Xhosa Zulu Aid
Word Lists & Phrases in Four Languages
Second edition  [2002], Ninth Impression 2008 [First edition = 1966
Quellerie Publishers]
Pharos Dictionaries, Cape Town,
 xii + 195 pp, ISBN 978-1-868-90036-7,  R 113

3 – Xhosa

Learn Xhosa with Anne Munnik, New Edition
- book
Fourth edition [2006], third impression 2008, [First edition = 1994]
Shuter & Shooter, Pietermaritzburg  www.shuters.com
xiv + 200 pp,  ISBN 978-07960-2672-9,  R 143
- CD
27 tracks, barcode 9-780796-029294, R 121

Collins Xhosa phrasebook,
First published 2008-12-28
Harper Collins Publishers, www.collinslanguage.com
256 pp, ISBN 978-0-00-726688-3, R 87

English-Xhosa Xhosa-English Dictionary
Second edition [First Printing 1998], Eleventh printing 2008
Pharos Dictionaries, Cape Town
iv + 81 pp (3 cols/page) , ISBN 978-1-86890-009-1, R 74.95

Afrikaans-Xhosa Xhosa-Afrikaans Woordeboek,
Tweede uitgawe, eerste druk 2005
Pharos Woordeboeke, Kaapstad
iii + 90 pp (3 cols/page), ISBN 978-1-86890-057-2,  R 54.95

4 – Afrikaans on CD and DVD

I bought, without yet having a possibility to listen, just based on their
positioning as toppers in the shelves of the store:
- Desmond Wells, 'n Stukkie van jou hart, Hoezit Musiek, 2008, CD HOEZD88, R
99.95
- Wicus van der Merwe, hie' komme ding, Select Musiek 2004, CD SELBCD490, R
79.95
- Arno Jordaan, Beste Afrikaanse Hits, EMI esounds, CD 5099924310727, R
99.95
- Rapport, Ons sing jou taal 5, Select Musiek 2008, CD SELBCD 763, R 109.95
- Afrikaans is groot, Sluit in die jaar se grootste treffers, 2008 Coleske
Artists, DVD barcode 6-009516-607813, R 159.95
- Jacques De Coning, Afrikaans my trots, Select Musiek 2007, SELDVD 7022, R
99.95
I will listen to it when back in Belgium. Just hope it is understandable.

5 – South-Africa, history and culture

Hermann Gikiomee & Bernard Mbenga
New History of South Africa
2007, first edition, first printing
Tafelberg Cape Town   www.tafelberg.com
x + 454 pp., ISBN 978-0-624-04359-1, R 350
 [Comment: at home I have a "Geskiedenis of SA" dating from the seventies,
dealing extensively with the language issue (recognition of Afrikaans on May
27, 1025). In the New History the subject is briefly touched on p 253, mixed
with an other issue (refusal of bilingualism by English speakers);
Interesting though is an article p 71 with title "The rise of Afrikaans".
After describing the use of Dutch as e.g. by reading the Staten bible in the
eighteenth century, the author concludes "Without the continued use of
Dutch, particularly in the church and as written medium, Afrikaans would to
all probability have been swept aside by English in the nineteenth century".
With an illustration of Afrikaans in Arabic characters, with comment "Arabic
Afrikaans Muslims were the first to use Afrikaans in printed form."]

H.W. Claassen, De geskiedenis van Boerekos 1652-1806
[kos = food]
2006, Eerste uitgawe, eerste druk,
Pretoria, Proea Boekhuis
511 pp, ISBN 1-!§919-106-4, R 99 as a special sales action
[Comment: very interesting links with European and other cooking of the
period]

Wêreldatlas vir Suid-Afrikaners
2008, Eerste Suid-Afrikaanse uitgawe [eerst uitgegee as Collins World Atlas
2003, angepas in 2008]
Sunbird, Kaapstad, www.sunbirdpublishers.co.za
240 pp., ISBN 978-1-919938-95-0, R 254
[Comment: The dedicated South-African part goes from p 8 till 41
Traditional groups and languages are dealt with p. 15
For the Benelux p.72 some Flemish towns have also the French name listed as
e.g. "Roeselare (Roulers)". French towns with a Dutch name do not get the
Dutch version inversely (Liège, Arlon, Lille). Even bilingual municipalities
only get a French name (Enghien, Mouscron).
Cologne is listed as "Keulen (Köln)" but Aachen has to do with German only.
The "Straat van Dover" on the map is rather called "Nauw van Cales" in
Dutch.
So unfortunately Dutch was poorly used when translating the Collins junk
into Afrikaans.]

Kevin Winter, Catherine Oelofse & Jean Borraro,
Oxford senior atlas vir Suider – Afrika
2002, sesde druk 2008
Oxford UP Southern Africa, Kaapstad
96 pp., ISBN 978-0-19-578296-7, R 114.95
[Comment: The dedicated South-African part goes from p 4 till 37
A breakdown of the languages spoken is on p. 22
The general part has only maps of Europe p. 76 and 77, no details for the
Benelux]
Nevertheless "Ryssel (Lille)" is on the map p. 77 in both language
versions.]

South-Africa at a Glance, 2008-2009
History – Politics – Economy – Trade – Tourism – Statistics
14th edition
Editors Inc., Greenside   www.southafricaataglance.com
240 pp (pocket size), ISBN 978-0-620-40443-3, R 59.95^
[languages p. 38
11 home languages are listed as official, the percentages below are
estimated from a diagram:
Zulu 24
Xhosa 17
Afrikaans 13
Pedi 9
Tswana 8
English 8
Sotho 7
Tsango 4
Swati 3
Venda 3
Ndebele 2]

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Thanks for the great resource list, Roger. This is really great.

It shouldn't be too surprising that it is difficult, at least at first, to
understand Afrikaans, even from a Dutch-speaking perspective. I think this
is a typical situation within the group of Lowlands language, with the
exception of English to which most of us have been sufficiently exposed and
can't help being exposed to these days.

Some time ago I heard André Rieux speak Limburgish on TV. I didn't look at
the subtitles. At first I understood little, in part because I expected to
hear Dutch. I watched the same clip again more than a year later and was
prepared for it being Limburgish, and I understood virtually everything. As
for Dutch, I can read anything, but I can't understand the speech of
everyone right away, speed being an important factor, but understanding
improves the longer I listen. The same applies to Afrikaans, Frisian and
Scots.

Exposure is really what it's all about. For this reason we really need more
audio material, and the amount of audio material is in fact increasing
rapidly, especially now that many broadcasting stations have on-line
representation and sites such as You Tube allow people to post video clips.

I suggest we consider updating our resources list and add a special audio
section.

Thanks again, Roger, and enjoy the rest of your stay in South Africa!