LL-L "Resources" 2008.12.28 (02) [E]

Mon Dec 29 21:36:47 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 29 December 2008 - Volume 02

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.12.28 (03) [E]

Okay, I REALLY should NOT be even LOOKING at my Lowlands List emails,
let alone be ebignpulled into replying ... I was informed that the
5-year strategic plan for our NGO which I agreed to get donde in 2
weeks when asked 3 days ago, now is being "requested" by tomorrow
morning! For a meeting with our main funder (and since lately I do not
get on well personally with the COO fo the fundign organization, I am
HAPPY to have it ready fro when our trustee (in town only for this
week) meets with him and the CEO. Even workign all night is better
than havign to sit face-to-face with ... at leats until this hissy-fit
(exaccerbated by my sharp sarcastic emaisl I am afraid but must admit)
blows over.

Anyway, a BRIEF addtion to Rogers resources list, from books I got
when i was in the opposite send of ZA a couple-three years ago:

1. Zooming in on Zulu: a Phrasebook and Much (2004) more
2. Clicking with Xhosa: a Xhosa Phrasebook. (2001)
BOTH by: Bev. Kirsch & Silvia Skorge. Cape Town: David Philip Publ.
 OKAY, the "cutE" names are the BIGGEST appeal, but they are actually
not bad "teach yourself" style books

3. HW Paul & Dm Ntusi (1983) isiXhosa. Johannesburg: Educum Uitgewers.
 A VERY nice grammar of Xhosa ... in XHosa (which for me was a big
PLUS, but for some MIGHT be seen as a hindrance)

4. DJ Lombard (1985) Inleiding tot de Grammatica van Noord-Sotho.
Pretoria: JL van Schaik.
5. LJ Louwrens (1991) Aspects of Northern Sotho Grammar. Pretoria: Via
Afrika Ltd.
 The former is advertised as "also available in English as ..."
 Unlike where Roger is staying, Hatfield, in pretoria, where i spent
the 1st adn last weeks of my 2 months plus in ZA is an EXCELLENT place
for books in "native languages" (though one migth argue that Afrikaans
IS a natiev language, ne c'est pas?) There was a van Schaik's (mayeb
THE main store?9 and a GREAT bookstore with loads of new and used
books. hatfield also has a Sunday fleamarket with plenty of books ...
though THOSE are in English and Afrikaans without exception. BUT, some
good Afrikaans bargains to be had (My Afrikaans literature is mostly
still in Japan, so I can't give you a thorough list ... only that NOT
at the fleamarket i got the two vols that have been put out so far of
Breyten Breytenbach's collected poetry. :-)))))

6. PC Taljaard & SE Bosch (1988) Handbook of isiZulu. Pretoria: JL van
Schaik.
7. PC Taljaard, JN Khuma & SM Bosch (1991) Handbook fo Siswati.
Pretoria: JL van Schaik.

many more ... but those are what i have at hand ...

OKAY, back to reprot writing. :-((((((

Mike || マイク || माईक || Мика || માઈક || მაიქ || ਮਾਈਕ
מייק || மாஇக் || Miqueu || U C > || ما یک || Mihangel
Dr Michael W Morgan
Managing Director Ishara Foundation Mumbai (Bombay), India
माईकल मोर्गन (पी.एच.डी.) मेनेजिंग डॉयरेक्टर ईशारा फॉउंडेशन (मुंबई )