LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.01 (07) [E]

Fri Feb 1 23:48:00 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  31 January 2008 - Volume 07

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.01 (05) [E/LS]

On 01.02.2008, at 22:34, Ron/Reinhard Hahn wrote:

> What do you say? Brilliant? Off the rocker? Or both?

Brilliant, Ron, as almost everytime!

Especially:
> I'm now starting to suspect that Ramanken comes from *raab-mank-en
> (related to English "rape," German Raps and the various Dutch
> combinations with raap; cf. Dutch koolraap for Ramanke).

OK, seems more verisimilar than my pure hypothesis of "rae/raae"=red,
with "Raae Beyten" and "Rautkaul" in the "Ramanken/Raamanken".

If I understand well, we agree about the part "manken" coming
- be it directly from modern "manken" = in between, "mank ander" =
untereinander/muddled mixed-up
- and/or - as you showed up so enlightning - from the semantic side
channel
> related to Old Saxon mangon 'to deal (with)', 'to trade', 'to barter'

So we can behold this question as resolved until further notice. If
occasionally in my reception of e. g. Lyra I should come to further
information I'll remember to comunicate it.

Thank you and
ɣoutɣaun!
joachim
--
Kreimer-de Fries

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hoi, Joachim!

Brilliant, Ron, as almost everytime!

Excuse me? Surely that "almost" slipped in there by mistake.

Theo *et al.* are clearly dumbfounded.

So we can behold this question as resolved until further notice.

That's right, until further sudden eruptions of brilliance.

If occasionally in my reception of e. g. Lyra I should come to further
information I'll remember to comunicate it.

I would expect no less.

Thanks for the mutually satisfying etymological encounter!

ɣoutɣaun!

Back at yer!