LL-L "Humor" 2008.02.03 (06) [E]

Sun Feb 3 21:08:57 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  03 February 2008 - Volume 06
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Humor"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

I must apologize to anyone who did not understand my responses to Luc and
Ingmar that began with Luc's "Nueva España" suggestion that I was sure was a
joke based on what he saw as a real situation.

My responses to what I thought were satire were meant to be pure satire. At
the time I thought that that was abundantly obvious, and hopefully it was
obvious to most of you, at least to the native English speakers in the
round. What apparently wasn't clear to a couple of people at least was that
it poked much less fun at European attitudes than at American attitudes and
politics (including contradictory attitudes toward Mexico and Mexicans).
None of it was mean-spirited, at least not intentionally so. I thought that
at least those of you that have known me for a while would have started with
that assumption. Yes, I was poking fun at all around, including myself to
some degree, with the underlying poke at thinking in national categories and
doing so in overly stereotypical and simplistic ways.

Apology accepted.

No matter how "humor" is viewed though, it's always rooted in reality and is
often used to release tension (in a potentially explosive situation).
Potentially explosive, yes indeed, otherwise you wouldn't have written in a
reply to Mike Wintzer:

"Florida is ... How shall I say? *¿Un caso muy, muy especial?* Nuff said
about that."

Otherwise you're never the kind of person Ron, who is lost for words. But I
do understand your reaction there; even though you are indeed an individual,
representing only yourself, at the same time you're also a moderator, whose
responsibility it is to keep this group together.

Regarding "Nueva España", let me just explain that it's a historic term that
was in use for the Spanish overseas until the early 19th century (just like
Northumbria is also a historic name and not in official use anymore in the
UK). Difference of course is, that "Nueva España" is laden with connotations
of colonialism, and this would of course hamper its introduction. I knew
that, but for lack of a better term I did choose it anyway, even though I
very much oppose any notion of colonialism myself. Then, for just a moment,
I thought of the label "Anahuac" (after reading about the Mexica-movement on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexica_Movement), but quickly abandoned this
militant word, because I didn't want to make your stance even more difficult
than it already was.

Ali G likes mirrors. In Dutch, we say: "Al lachende, zegt een zot de
waarheid". Nuff said about that. ;-)

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx