LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.03 (07) [E]

Mon Feb 4 06:25:54 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  02 February 2008 - Volume 07
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables"

Beste Theo,

You wrote:

But -I hesitate to ask- but is there some brilliance
left among our lowlands-colleagues to say something
sensible about a other lowlandish word for swedes:
Wruken. Any idea of the word-family?

Read somewhere that "Wruken" and "Rauke" < eruca (Latin), which is also a
member of the Brassica family.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

PS: According to http://www.etymonline.com, the "baga" in rutabaga is
cognate with English "bag" (and not with "back"/Backen/bacon...)