LL-L "Phonology" 2008.02.07 (03) [E]

Sat Feb 9 19:44:56 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 09 February 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.02.08 (05) [E]

Did you notice that Dutch G is pronounced as H in Zeelandic? It shares
this with the Flemish dialect group in Belgium/France of course, but, more
interesting, with Czech and Slovak as well, which have H where the other
Slavonic languages have G. I think to remember Southern Russian, Ukrainian
and maybe Belorus have a velar G, as well, just like Standard Dutch.
Southern Dutch,i.e. Brabantish, Limburgish and Kleverlands, have a palatal
G sound, say the voiced equivalent of the German ich-laut

Ingmar

Reindert die ee heschreev'n:

Just now I installed an audio file for one of our Zeelandic translations of
the story:

http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/zeeuws.php

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

I sure noticed it, Inging. I was tempted to add a remark about it to my
posting but then decided to let people discover it themselves.

Just for the record, to extend the Slavonic picture at a side glance:

   - *g >*
   *
      - Polish: *g* [g]
      - Kashubian (Eastern Pomeranian): *g* [g]
      - Slovincian (Eastern Pomeranian): *g* [g]
      - Polabian: *g* *[g], *ch* *[ɣ] ~ [x]
      - Lower Sorbian (Lusatian): *g* [g]
      - Upper Sorbian (Lusatian): *h* [h]
      - Czech: *h* [ɦ] (voiced "h", as in Afrikaans)
      - Slovak: *h* [ɦ] (voiced "h", as in Afrikaans)
      - Rusyn (Ruthenian): *г* [ɦ] (voiced "h", as in Afrikaans;
      versus *ґ* [g])
      - Ukrainian: *г* [ɦ] (voiced "h", as in Afrikaans; versus *ґ*[g])
      - Belarusan: *г* [ɣ]
      - Russian: *г* [g]
      - Slovenian: *g* [g]
      - Croatian: *g* [g]
      - Serbian: *g /** г** * [g]
      - Bosnian: *g /** г** * [g]
      - Macedonian: ***г** * [g]
      - Slavic in Greece: [g]
      - Bulgarian: *г** * [g]
      - Old Church Slavonic: *г** * [g]

Note also that foreign /h/ is usually rendered as *г* [g] in Russian.