LL-L "History" 2008.02.10 (02) [E]

Sun Feb 10 19:58:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 10 February 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History"

este Roger,

You wrote:

*Steen*okkerzeel originally formed together with *Neder*okkerzeel (now part
of Kampenhout) a larger area *Ochinsala*.
It was given by "Pepin of Herstal", together with "Ham", to the abbey of
Sint Truiden in the 8th century.
1076 Hocensele
1147 Hockenzela
Etymology:
*Sala*: Franconian for place
*Ochin*: different explanations in litterature:
- Diminutive of *Hukkon*, Hugo (Carnoy)
- *Hokko*, an abreviation of *Hueger, Hugbald* (De Vries).
*Steen*: most probably referring to a stronghold or fortress.

In the early 20th century, Steenokkerzeel was called "Snokkeziël" in the
local lingo. Maybe they still do so, but I'm not sure.

The area between Steenokkerzeel-center and Wambeek, a bit South of my house,
has recently completely been depleted of buildings (except for the old
graveyard). It is reportedly done for having a "fall" area in front of
runway 25R. We have much police interventions for chasing plane spotters
from the graves, especially on sunny Sundays as today (yesterday we had
record temperatures of 16.8 celsius for a 9th of February).
The roof on the castle on the top part of
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/so.jpg  has also been removed for air
traffic safety.

Guess you mean the "Kasteel van Ham"? I was there a couple of months ago:
nice place and in surprisingly good condition (not obvious for a castle
nowadays, heating costs taken into account).

By the way, there's another Wambeek in the Pajottenland (west of Brussels),
which is called "Wammek" in dialect (the b is lost). Same goes for "Lombeek"
which becomes "Loemmek", "Opwijk" > "Opaëk", "Norwich" > "Norich",
"Greenwich" > "Greenich", "Katwijk" > "Katek", if I remember well. On the
other hand, this effect does not take place in names like "Humbeek" and
"Hombeek" (near Mechelen). So I wonder if the b is also lost in
Middenbrabants "Wambeek".

 Steenokkerzeel was part of the ban of Brussels in the old Duchy of Brabant.
This Brussels area is actually the real original "Brabant". When the
counts/dukes of Leuven acquired the Brussels territory, they changed the
overall name of their territory into Brabant.

Didn't know that. So how did the dukes call their territory before that
time?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx