LL-L "Resources" 2008.02.13 (04) [E]

Wed Feb 13 21:06:24 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 13 February 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.02.13 (01) [E]

re  : heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk<http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/MsgBody?d=tiscali.co.uk&contentSeed=3861d&u=heatherrendall&pct=19d11&l=en#>
<heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk<http://webmail.tiscali.co.uk/cp/ps/Mail/MsgBody?d=tiscali.co.uk&contentSeed=3861d&u=heatherrendall&pct=19d11&l=en#>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2008.02.12 (02) [E]

Dear All

This website has just been mentioned on a forum site I'm on.
http://www.palabea.net/

Very Sorry,  Lowlanders!

I meant to send that mail to a work group!!!!! We have been given the task
of finding websites to assist the delivery of MFL for ages 14-16 : we have
to find 12 language specific ones ( I'm doing the German) and some general
FL learning ones.

I thought that this one sounded useful.

re languages offered, Ron.       I didn't have time to sign in but it would
seem that it is just an open site. If you want to start contacting people in
Outer Mongolian, then you just send in your file, audio file, video or
whatever and hope that someone else who speaks OM signs in too.

They promote it as a site where you can be teacher and learner i.e. help
others to learn your language and be helped by others to learn theirs.

Apologies again

Heather
----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Don't worry about it, Heather. After all, no harm was done.

Actually, I did sign up to test out the setup. It still has kinks and bugs.

Theoretically, there is no limit to the languages covered, but they limited
it inadvertently by providing a language menu. I've already told them,
nicely, that that's kind of silly, that at the very least they should
provide for users adding languages in their profiles. I gave them Low Saxon
and Scots as examples of languages not covered, and they replied saying
they'd add them.

Bad example, dear, poor Heather ... Please never say "Outer Mongolia" or
"Outer Mongolian" in my presence again if you know what's good for you. ;-)
It reflects the old Sinocentric view of Mongolia: the parts colonized by
China are called "Inner Mongolia" (内蒙古 *Nèi Měnggǔ*) because they are inside
China, and those that are independent are called "Outer Mongolia" (外蒙古 *Wài
Měnggǔ*) because they are outside China. The Mongolian people are not alone
in finding it outrageous that other languages have adopted this terminology.
There is now a trend away from it, distinguishing "Mongolia" (Mongolian *Монгол
улс* *Mongol uls*) or "Northern Mongolia" from "Southern Mongolia" (*Өвөр
Монгол Öbör Mongol*, the latter being the larger, Chinese-administered one
where the proportion of Mongolian speakers is steadily declining). No, the
Chinese government does *not *approve of this trend.