LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.02.15 (02) [E]

Fri Feb 15 18:50:01 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 February 2008 - Volume 02
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" Where's that?

Heather and all,

    I have two seconds to write down this thought before going to work, but
here's an interesting book chapter title about a place far, far away: *BOOK]
* How Far is America from Here?: Selected Proceedings of the First World
Congress of the International
…<http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Ts35bX0aq3oC&oi=fnd&pg=PA11&dq=Baroque+%22LP+Zamora+%22&ots=8nDlUc-uWt&sig=AeVkmJNabRJtxbgN--s-P2RPyis>
Dhaen, Giles, Kadir, & Zamora - 2005 - books.google.com.  It speaks about
the new developments in the academic field called "American Studies" which
have repositioned American culture on a new (more honest) map.  Ask yourself
who actually wrote the Klingon language and where Deadwood is…[thanks Ron V]

    Actually, though, where I'm from is 'further away' in geographic terms
than Deadwood by about 50 miles.  I sometimes describe my Wyoming home as an
island in a sea of peopled places.  But it's also a great borderland between
Spanish and English domains, so it generates a lot of global-class meaning.
Borders are good places for talking honestly. If far, far away implies
isolation from the global process of making meaning, then maybe the best
place to look is at the center where meaningful distinctions are no longer
possible… or are thought out in abstract terms that distance local speakers
from reality.

Got to go,
Gael Fonken

---------
From: foga0301 at stcloudstate.edu
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" Where's that? part 2

An additional comment (or two) to follow my email to Heather above about
ways to name the location of a faraway place:

First is this saying that Mexicanos pass around to each other that explains
their unique position in the world.  "Poor Mexico, so far from God and to
close to the United States".

A second example is from my Saudi Arabian students who spoke of the
Caribbean in a similar manner when explaining the Bermuda Triangle where
ships are supposed to have disappeared due to mysterious (possibly evil)
forces emerging there.  For them the mystery had all to do with the place
being just off the coast of Texas where President Bush is from.

Gael Fonken