LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.15 (04) [E]

Fri Feb 15 21:45:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 February 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.15 (01) [E]

> From: Ronald Veenker <veenker at atmc.net>
> Subject: Etymology
[...]
> "to ret up" meaning
> (in my family's usage) "to quickly straighten up" a
> room or part of a
> house.
[...]

Hi,

"to ret up":  it reminds me of dutch [not often heard
nowadays] 'opredderen' with same meaning, and also
[archaic] 'opreden' with about same meaning.
And then it is to be put in the word-family of
oldgermanic/gothic 'raidjan'.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Theo to the rescue again! Good one!

In fact, in the meantime I figured out that in Low Saxon of Eastern
Friesland it is indeed *upreddern* 'to put in order', 'to tidy up' (e.g.,
1st person signular *Ik redder up*). Clearly, this begs to be converted to
English "to *red* up".

So this *red-* must be related with English "ready". The *Oxford English
Dictionary* under "ready":

[Early ME. *rædi****ƺ*, *readi*, *redi*, in southern texts also *ƺeredi*, *
ireadi*, etc. (see I-REDY), apparently formed on the analogy of other
adjectives by the addition of -*iƺ*, -Y, to OE. rǽde (?) or
*ƽer**ǽ**de *I-REDE,
from the Teut. stem **raiđ*- to put in order, prepare: see I-RAD and GRAITH
n. and a.
  The form *rædiƺ *is peculiar to ME., but synonymous words from the same
base are common in the cognate languages, as MDu. *gereet*, -*reit *(Du. *
gereed*), MLG. *gerêde*, MHG. *gereite*, *gereit*; OFris. *rêde*, *rêd *(mod.
*ree*), Du. *reede*, *ree*, MLG. *rêde *(hence Da. *rede*, Sw. *reda*, *redo
*, Icel. *reiðr*), OHG. -*reiti *(MHG. *reite*); MDu. *bereet*, -*reit *(Du.
*bereid*), MLG. *berêde *(hence Da. *beredt*, Sw. *beredd*), OHG. *bireiti *(G.
*bereit*). Mod.Sw. *redig *unentangled, clear, etc., is an independent
formation from *reda *to disentangle.]