LL-L "Songs" 2008.02.15 (04) [E]

Sun Feb 17 00:18:57 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 16 February 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Dear Lowlanders,

Hear ye! Hear ye! Our 13th anniversary months is drawing nigh and nigher:
April 15 - May 15.

Calling all translators, musicians, performers and other such raggle-taggle
folk!

Our Lowlands Song competition itself may have been a bit of a bust, but some
things have been gained and are salvageable. There are three songs:

   - one in Low Saxon by Marlou:
   1. "Little Old Lowlander Me" (lyrics only?)
      http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/little.php

   - two in English by yours truly:
   1. "Song of the Lowlands" (lyrics and tune)
      http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands-song.php
      http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands-song_music.php
      2. "Lowlands on My Mind" (lyrics only)
      http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/hahn_lowlands_mind.php

All right. No more competition in this connection. But this doesn't mean
that all efforts be for naught and this material be shelved.

Here are tasks for you to perform:

   - Translate any of the songs into any languages (preferably in
   singable form)
   - Write tunes for any of the songs (including alternative tunes in the
   case of "Song of the Lowlands")
   - Write musical arrangements
   - Perform and otherwise interpret any of the songs in any way ...
   instrumentally, vocally, in sign language (on video), in dance (on video),
   in drawing, painting or photography ...

If you can't do any of the above yourselves, please consider motivating
non-members to do it ... individuals, bands, orchestras ... why, Céline
Dion, Andrea Bocelli, the Berlin Philharmonic or Mr. Methane, for all I
care.

And additional songs are and will always be welcome. The same goes for poems
not meant to end up as songs, and it goes for things like prose and for
projects like photo essays as well.

As with all activities, members' collaboration is highly recommended. So get
in touch with each other! If you can't think of a suitable collaborator
right now, just post an appeal to the List.

If there's too little time left until the next anniversary, by all means
shoot for a later completion date, perhaps in time for our 14th anniversary.

I stress the fact that this is not a competition. It's an open stage
opportunity, and any submission will be displayed, if nowhere else than in
our Gallery (http://lowlands-l.net/gallery/).

Please let me know if you have any questions. And by all means have fun!