LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.02.18 (01) [D/E]

Tue Feb 19 00:24:52 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 18 February 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.02.16 (01) [E]

I forgot to mention an important feature of Afrikaans that it has in
common with Hollandic dialects, but definitely not with Zeeuws:
the drop of -t in Dutch consonant clusters sucht as -st, -ft, -cht.
In Zeeuws this doesn't occur, but in many Hollandic, especially from Zuid-
Holland, e.g. The Hague, final -t/-d are dropped in consonant clusters.
Dutch hoofd => hoof, Dutch nest => nes, Dutch jacht => jach, etc.

Another one is diminutive -ie, which is typical Hollandic, but not Zeeuws:
Dutch nestje => nessie, Dutch huisje => huisie, Dutch boompje => boompie
etc. in all Hollandic dialects, and in Afrikaans, but not in Zeeuws.

I think that Afrikaans is mostly from 17 century Standard Dutch, with a
lot of Zuid-Holland dialect. Probably this dialect was a bit closer to
Zeeuws in that time in some aspects than in the present, geographically
it's not too far to the Zeeland islands from Zuid-Holland.

Ingmar

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.02.15 (03) [E]

Yes, that an incorrect but very popular myth, especially among Zeeland
people themselves.
If we compare Afrikaans, Dutch and Zeeuws, we'll find that Afrikaans is in
almost all phonologic features closer to Dutch and the Hollandic dialects
than to Zeeuws.

In Zeeuws, Dutch H is dropped, not so in Afrikaans which keeps H
In Zeeuws, Dutch G [x] is pronounced H, not in Afrikaans where it's G [x]
In Zeeuws, Dutch UI is pronounced [y], not so in Afrikaans where it's UI
In Zeeuws, Dutch Y/IJ is pronounced [i], not in Afrikaans where it's Y
In Zeeuws, Dutch -EN [@] is pronounced [n], not in Afr. where it's -E [@]
In Zeeuws, Dutch JOU, NOU with [au] is JOE, NOE with [u] in Afr. JOU, NOU
In Zeeuws, Dutch AA [a:] is pronounced AE [E:]/[e:], in Afr. AA [a:], [Q:]

The only thing Afrikaans and Zeeuws have in common is the pronunciation of
EE and OO as falling diphthongs, but in older Hollandic dialects that was
the prono too, so probably Afrikaans has it from there.

I know very well out of my own experience how Zeeuws and Dutch with a
Zeeuws accent sound, because my mother spoke it with her family all the
time, and I can assure you it's very different from Afrikaans.
But the myth is persistent, even my mom things it's true...

Ingmar