LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.25 (01) [E]

Tue Feb 26 15:11:50 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 26 February 2008 - Volume 01
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.24 (05) [E/German]

Hi Ron, The Dutch translation for LS swark is zwerk.

zwerk, (lit) het geheel der aan de hemel drijvende wolken.

I remember my grandmother speaking about "het dreigende zwerk"

 MY Dutch –English van Dale gives as translation rack, welkin or cope….
"the scudding wrack", where welkin clearly is the same as wolken (clouds)
and cope is an ecclesiastic cape

I also bet you that "wrack" has to do with wreak as in wreak havoc which
again is akin to Dutch "wraak" en "wreken" meaning revenge. And you see
Wotan coming down the clouds with Horsta and Hengis.

Have fun with it. Jacqueline