LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.29 (04) [E]

Fri Feb 29 15:56:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 29 February 2008 - Volume 04
the html toggle at the bottom of the archived page.

From: Mike Morgan <mwmosaka at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.02.28 (02) [E]

Hey Lowlands brahs an titas , Namaskar!

Okay, here in Bombay -- oops, sorry Mumbai; don't want to be politically
incorrect (though being historically incorrect seems to be quite okay!), as
there were riots here recently, directed this time against fellow Indians
from northern parts (UP and Bihar), and Maratha sensitivities seem to be
very touchy ... don't know if there are any Thackeray's on the list, but, if
so, hope they are NOT respelled Thakare's!

Okay, I have been WAY too busy to follow each and every LOWLANDS-List
message (shame on me!); they are however saved in a folder for when I DO get
the time. And since today I am sick (nothing serious, just a light flu or
some such bug), I thought I would "treat" myself. SO, I am taking an hour
maybe and reading recent LOWLANDS List mailings, and then later another hour
and reading recent SIOUAN List mailings (my TWO favorite lists, perhaps for
similar reasons!)

The second one I opened had Ron's notes on the etymology of enclosures
(German *Zaun* 'fence', Low Saxon *Tuun* 'fence' ~ 'garden', Dutch
*toen*'garden', but Scots
*toon* 'town', English "*town*" etc, and he mentioned a similar etymological
link between "thing enclosing" (cf English verb gird from the related IE
verbal root **gherdh-*) and "thing enclosed" (English "yard" and related
"garden"). The same IE *ĝhordo- "woven branches (for fencing)" we have for
yard and garden (and also Welsh *garth* "pen, fold") is in fact the root for
Common Slavic *gard, which through metathesis etc gives all the *grad*'s and
*gorod*'s we maybe are familair with (from Russian Lenin*grad*, Nov*gorod*,
and Ukrainian Kirovo*hrad* (Кірово*град*) and Polish Biało*gard*, Wyszo*gród
* in the north, to Bulgarian Blagoev*grad* and Serbian Beo*grad* (Bel*grade*)
in the south. AND, lest we forget an all important element in this
etymology: English vine*yard*, Dutch wijn*gaard*, Swedish: vin*gård*,
Icelandic vín*garð*ur, etc are exact cognates with Russian вино*град*ник
"vineyard", Slovene vino*grad* -dittto-... and lest we forget one section of
both Praha (Prague) and Bratislawa is called Vino*hrad*y "vineyards"!

again, namaskar!

MWM || マイク || Мика || माईक

================

Dr Michael W Morgan