LL-L "Grammar" 2008.01.06 (02) [E]

Sun Jan 6 19:53:01 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.05 (06) [E]

Hi Reinhard,

You wondered:

I know that not too long ago especially older Americans greatly disliked
"you guys" (and in some varieties even genitive "you guyses"!), found it
disrespectful, especially coming from younger people addressing them.
However, not only does it seem to be more acceptable now but I hear more and
more seniors use it themselves. Might "you guys" make it eventually, and
might it be passed on to other varieties of English?

I have heard it in South Africa, from a native English speaking girl. "What
did you guys do today?", she asked my friend and me. This was in Port
Elizabeth, 1996.

I once heard a calque from "you people" in the language of an Afrikaans
speaker. He told my friend and me: "Julle mense brand die panne." It wasn't
me, who had done the cooking, though!

"Julle mense" to me sounds like an intrusive English-based tautology.
"Julle" already indicates plural, so why add "mense" (= people)? Like "you
people" "julle mense" doesn't sound friendly, either.

Best regards,

Marcel.