LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.07 (07) [E]

Tue Jan 8 00:09:29 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  07 January 2008 - Volume 07

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L ['un]forgotten?'

 Hi, dear Ron,

me seems this mail eventually having been slipped- maybe as a consequence
because of the use of a different PC:

Beste Ron,

you wrote about the word 'spring' in LS:

 spring ~ spreng ~ sprang

 born
springborn

A solitary 'spring/spreng' I only know as a denotation for a special rope
to moore a ship (look here:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_seem%C3%A4nnischer_Fachw%C3%B6rter#S )

Instead of 'Springborn' we use to say 'Bor*M*spring', as well as we use to
say 'boer*M*en' when we water the cattle. A 'springborn' here perhaps would
be a G: 'Springbrunnen', E: 'fountain'.

I would like to know if this 'm' instead of 'n' is an archaic relic like in
'Boe*M*' (E: loft; compare with O.E. 'bot*m*', O.H.G. 'boda*m*', Modern
English 'botto*m*') which in Land Kehdingen still today is used instead of
'Boe*N*' as in e.g. the neighboured Land Hadeln.

> I'm also interested in the *séaþ* / *sāth* / *sōth* group for 'well'. Is
there any connection with "to seethe"?

Here in our marshlands we prefer the word 'Sood/sooth' for 'well'. Recently
I made some investigations about the difference between G: 'Brunnen' and G:
'Sod-Brunnen'- there are indeed special technical distinctions.

Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm

From: Ron Bronemann <ronbron7 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.07 (05) [E]

Hello all,

I am seeking the meaning of "hoven" as used in surname WEMMENHOVEN.  I was
unable to find any help in a Dutch dictionary.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

Ron Bronemann