LL-L "Idiomatica" 2008.01.08 (02) [E]

Tue Jan 8 16:33:21 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: James Ward <jamesward at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica"

Hi Ron,

You wrote:

> "What's up" and "Whazzup" as greetings are now commonly heard in
> casual broadcasting, though rarely coming from the hosts or
> moderators, more from "cool" guest, typically younger males, thus
> "cool dudes." You'll hear it more the more "cool"-male-oriented a
> program is, typically in contexts of sports and the like. It's a show
> of "cool" masculinity. "What's up, man," "Whazzup, dude," etc. are
> becoming very common place in casual contexts. Men don't address women
> that way, of course, but they will use "What's up" and "Whazzup" then,
> which simply means anything like "Hi!", "Hello!", "How do you do?",
> "Nice to meet you," etc. You'll hear "What's going on(, dude)?" also.
> Mind you: none of these are questions to be answered. And mind you
> also: these are displays of masculinity and "cooldudeness" (or is it
> "coolduditude"?), would sound strange coming from females and mostly
> also coming from older, more "distinguished" males.

For what it's worth, I would distinguish between "what's up" and
"whazzup" (and also " 't'sup").  I say "what's up" sometimes as a
greeting to intimates and closer colleagues, but never "whazzup", which
might imply that I allow myself to be influenced by beer advertisements
(at least I think it was beer...)  I would not think twice about a
friendly "what's up" from a female, but if she were to say "whazzup" I
would probably start trying to figure out the nature of the current
reality.  Most likely she would be younger than me (that is, less than
40), and I would be favorably impressed by her willingness to engage
socially in a gregarious way.

(Of course "what's up" can also be used as a genuine question by
someone desiring to know the nature of a particular situation or what
another person is thinking.)

> I do occasionally say "Whazzup" to guys that talk that way and
> perceive it as friendly, as opposed to "How are you?" or "How're
> things?" which sound distant. I don't use "dude," rarely "man."

Amazingly enough, I do say "dude" sometimes, usually in the context of
amazement or consternation.  I probably picked this up from being in
the company of younger males who used this term a very great deal.

In my circles I would say the use of "chick" for a female is still very
low, except in set phrases like "chick flick" (a film which will
presumably only really appeal to females) or "biker chick" (a female
motorcycle aficionado) -- the latter itself being a conversational
topic of rather low frequency!  To refer to one or more females
generically in the third person as "a girl" or "girls" is still
conversationally acceptable, I think, but second person use is
basically limited to females, and then primarily for emphasis in the
discussion of an unusual situation.

This leads naturally to the use of the term "guys".  Perhaps for us
middle-aged folk this term still has residual gender-specificity.  I
addressed my parents recently as "you guys" and reflexively examined my
use of it in the middle of the utterance or immediately afterward.  It
was sufficiently appropriate, but still did not feel entirely adequate.
 At other times when applied to mixed company I'm sure it has felt more
comfortable, yet without losing at least a faint aura of "searching for
a better expression".  And yet, if someone were to enter a room full of
people and greet them with a "hey you guys!", I think it would be
completely fine and acceptable -- I'm sure no one would give it a
second thought.

"You all" is sometimes better, as in "what do you all want to do?"...
("Y'all" has not been generalized throughout United States society).

During my three years in Pennsylvania from age 7 to 9 (1974-1977) I
heard an alternate plural pronounced "jənz", which I suppose must be a
shortened form of "you 'uns" (but it seems doubtful if this could ever
have been pronounced in a fuller "you ones" form!).  This seems to have
been quite adequate, at least among young people, but as I have never
heard it in any other part of the country, I think it must be very
localized, assuming it is still said.

In some ways this issue is reminiscent of the desire to find a
gender-neutral term to replace the constant repetition of "his or her",
often using "their" in a singular context that is still frowned upon by
purists.  They are interesting areas in which people are trying to
address emerging language needs.

James Ward
Santa Ana, California