LL-L "Names" 2008.01.10 (08) [E]

Thu Jan 10 20:43:55 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.10 (02) [E]

Hi all,

Marcel, as I do not have a television set, I have no idea whether Kids
Newsroom was ever broadcasted in Afrikaans.

Judging from the total lack of complete Afrikaans children programmes, I
suspect not.

The excuse by your ambassador of adequate social networks for coloured and
white kids is a false assumption. The following article indicates that
Afrikaans-speaking coloured kids in the rural Western Cape are in dire need
for educational programmes in Afrikaans.

*The Rise and Possible Demise of Afrikaans as a Public
Language<http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/praesa/OPaper14.PDF>-
*

*http://www.uct.ac.za/depts/praesa/OPaper14.PDF*

You can view the TV programming content of SABC 1, SABC 2 and SABC 3 on
their respective websites at www.sabc1.co.za / www.sabc2.co.za /
www.sabc3.co.za

Only SABC 2 provides Afrikaans content.

I watched a supposedly educational programme on TV with my grandson the
other day and was very confused.

Different animal characters -complete with costumes of a dog or a piggy-
presented their individual lines in Sotho, English, Tswana, and even a word
or two in Afrikaans! In other words, there is no coherence and no complete
informational package is presented in any language group.
*Why only English? It is not a secret that the government, in its attempt to
compete globally, is driving towards a * *single public language. It was
widely believed that mother tongue education is not that essential but the
continuous drop in school pass rates since 1994, has prompted educationists
to review the need for mother tongue education beyond primary education.
       *

* *More info on TV:

Violence in children's programmes

http://libserv5.tut.ac.za:7780/pls/eres/wpg_docload.download_file?p_filename=F347492673/pretorius.pdf

About Kids Newsroom (from SABC 2)
*
http://vcmstatic.sabc.co.za/VCMStaticProdStage/CORPORATE/SABC%20Corporate/Document/unilever.pdf
* * * *Regards,* *Elsie Zinsser* From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com >
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.09 (05) [AE]

Hi Elsie,

You wrote about the television programmes: "which tends to broadcast
mixed-language
kiddie shows"

Can you tell me if Kid's Newsroom also broadcasts in Afrikaans? They used to
broadcast in Xhosa, Zulu, Venda, Tswana (among others) and in English, but *
not* in Afrikaans.
I went to the embassy back in May to talk (and complain) about this language
discrimination. The embassador said that there is no reason why the show is
not aired in Afrikaans when it is aired in English. She said this because
the main argument for the discrimination of Afrikaans is that social
networks of Afrikaans speakers (both coloured and white) are more intact
that those of black peoples in rural areas. These kids need news and
information on where to go to when they are in need. Children in black
communities usually only speak their own language, so the show has to be
broadcast in one of the African languages. So why is it aired in English,
then?

So she could make a plan with people from the SABC. What's more, Kid's
Newsroom was financed by a Dutch organisation, Free Voice. I think that the
least that we can expect from a Dutch organisation is that it supports the
promotion of Afrikaans.

So is the show in Afrikaans, or is the language still being ignored?

Best regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.10 (06) [E]

Hi all,

Thanks, Gael, for the web resources.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

*For Elsie *[India is moving beyond the problem you're describing… perhaps]

1. Transnational Television, Cultural Identity and Change: When Star Came to
India<http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=neTLI2lvdBYC&oi=fnd&pg=RA1-PA45&dq=STAR+%22Transnational+television,+cultural+identity%22&ots=W6RbFNKMys&sig=xRZ0lyuXcgrdryy2piaaclZkZdk>(2003)-by
Melissa Butcher—google-book
2. [DOC] Cultural Change: Reflections on the Identity Strategies of
Indian<http://www-edit.usyd.edu.au/riap/documents/publications/upocc_jisjuly04_final.doc>and
Australian youth (2006)…-by Melissa Butcher- View
as HTML<http://66.102.1.104/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:cDeIXMryTPYJ:www-edit.usyd.edu.au/riap/documents/research/tcc/upocc_jisjuly04_final.doc+>-