LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.11 (01) [E]

Fri Jan 11 15:20:51 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 January 2008 - Volume 01

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.10 (02) [E]

Hi all,

Marcel, as I do not have a television set, I have no ideawhether Kids
Newsroom was ever broadcasted in Afrikaans.

Judging from the total lack of complete Afrikaans children programmes,I
suspect not.

The excuse by your ambassador of adequate social networks forcoloured and
white kids is a false assumption. The following article indicates
thatAfrikaans-speaking coloured kids in the rural Western Cape are in dire
need foreducational programmes in Afrikaans.

*The Rise andPossible Demise of Afrikaans as a Public
Language<http://web.uct.ac.za/depts/praesa/OPaper14.PDF>-
*

*http://www.uct.ac.za/depts/praesa/OPaper14.PDF*

You can view the TV programming content of SABC 1, SABC 2 andSABC 3 on their
respective websites at www.sabc1.co.za/ www.sabc2.co.za / www.sabc3.co.za

Only SABC 2 provides Afrikaans content.

I watched a supposedly educational programme on TV with mygrandson the other
day and was very confused.

Different animal characters -complete with costumes of a dogor a piggy-
presented their individual lines in Sotho, English, Tswana, and evena word
or two in Afrikaans! In other words, there is no coherence and no
completeinformational package is presented in any language group.
*Why only English? It is not a secret that the government,in its attempt to
compete globally, is driving towards a * *single public language. It was
widely believed that mothertongue education is not that essential but the
continuous drop in school passrates since 1994, has prompted educationists
to review the need for mothertongue education beyond primary education.
      *

* *More info on TV:

Violencein children's programmes

http://libserv5.tut.ac.za:7780/pls/eres/wpg_docload.download_file?p_filename=F347492673/pretorius.pdf

About KidsNewsroom (from SABC 2)
*
http://vcmstatic.sabc.co.za/VCMStaticProdStage/CORPORATE/SABC%20Corporate/Document/unilever.pdf
* * * *Regards,* *Elsie Zinsser* From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com >
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.09 (05)[AE]

Hi Elsie,

You wrote about the television programmes: "which tends to
broadcastmixed-language
kiddie shows"

Can you tell me if Kid's Newsroom also broadcasts in Afrikaans? They used
tobroadcast in Xhosa, Zulu, Venda, Tswana (among others) and in English, but
*not*in Afrikaans.
I went to the embassy back in May to talk (and complain) about thislanguage
discrimination. The embassador said that there is no reasonwhy the show is
not aired in Afrikaans when it is aired in English. She saidthis because the
main argument for the discrimination of Afrikaans is thatsocial networks of
Afrikaans speakers (both coloured and white) are more intactthat those of
black peoples in rural areas. These kids need news andinformation on where
to go to when they are in need. Children inblack communities usually
only speak their own language, so the showhas to be broadcast in one of the
African languages. So why is it aired inEnglish, then?

So she could make a plan with people from the SABC. What's more,
Kid'sNewsroom was financed by a Dutch organisation, Free Voice. I think that
theleast that we can expect from a Dutch organisation is that it supports
thepromotion of Afrikaans.

So is the show in Afrikaans, or is the language still being ignored?

Best regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Language education" 2008.01.10 (06) [E]

Hi all,

Thanks,Gael, for the web resources.

Regards,
ElsieZinsser

*ForElsie *[India is moving beyondthe problem you're describing… perhaps]

1. TransnationalTelevision, Cultural Identity and Change: When Star Came to
India<http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=neTLI2lvdBYC&oi=fnd&pg=RA1-PA45&dq=STAR+%22Transnational+television,+cultural+identity%22&ots=W6RbFNKMys&sig=xRZ0lyuXcgrdryy2piaaclZkZdk>(2003)-by
Melissa Butcher—google-book
2. [DOC] Cultural Change: Reflections on the Identity Strategies
ofIndian<http://www-edit.usyd.edu.au/riap/documents/publications/upocc_jisjuly04_final.doc>and
Australian youth (2006)…-by Melissa Butcher- View
as HTML<http://66.102.1.104/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:cDeIXMryTPYJ:www-edit.usyd.edu.au/riap/documents/research/tcc/upocc_jisjuly04_final.doc+>-