LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.01.13 (02) [E]

Sun Jan 13 19:00:30 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 January 2008 - Volume 02

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2008.01.11 (04) [E]

Reinhard schreef:

"Low Saxon *blangen*, *blangs*, etc., means "alongside" from *bi
lang-s/en*("by long-..."). However, in most northern dialects it has
come to be used
in the sense of "next to" as well, where other dialects would use
*neven*(cf. German
*neben*), probably via the meaning "by the side of ..." (Say, trees that
stand alongside a road stand next to the road.)"

Hey, that's the same as the North Brabant use of "langs" instead of
Standard Dutch "naast". The funny thing is that the Brabant dialect word
is something like "neffen", but when North Brabanders are (trying)
speaking Standard Dutch, they usually say "langs": "ik zit langs jou" I'm
sitting next to you, instead of Standard Dutch "ik zit naast jou" and
Brabant dialect "ik zit neffen ou". Unlike German with "neben", Dutch
doesn't have an equivalent of "neffen" anymore, other than in compound
words like "nevenfunctie". "Langs" in Standard Dutch means alongside,
e.g. "de bomen staan langs de weg" the trees stand alongside de road.

But the unexpected thing here is that North Brabanders when speaking
Standard Dutch use a certain word that is not from their dialect, nor from
Standard Dutch. I'm sure there are more examples in more languages of this
Ingmar

Reinhard schreef ook:

"The German greeting *Küss die Hand* ("(I) kiss the hand") is
widely associated with old-time Vienna, perhaps not unjustifiably so,
thinking of the old Austro-Hungarian empire in which especially German and
Hungarian made interesting bed-fellows. Hungarian *kézet csókolom* (I kiss
the hand") is old and survived communist rule!"

From my former Hungarian bed-fellows I remember it as "czókolom kézet"
I kiss your hand, so with the kissing part first, abbreviated as "czók"
Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Moin, Ingmar!

(In Mecklenburg "Platt" I would affectionately address you with "Inging" ...
;-) )

You wrote:

"Langs" in Standard Dutch means alongside,
e.g. "de bomen staan langs de weg" the trees stand alongside de road.

This is possible in may Low Saxon dialects east of the border also; e.g. *De
boym staat langs d'n weg* (*De Bööm staht langs den Weg* [dEI b9:Im stQ:t
la.Ns=n vEC]). Other dialects would use *blangs* [bla:Ns] or
*blangen*[bla:N:]. In other dialects
*langs* might be somewhat ambiguous here in that the "missing" *by* (*bi*)
leaves open if the trees stand *by* (or *alongside*)* *the road or *on* it,
though it's clear from context of course.

In most cases, *langs* means simply 'along', or 'in a certain direction',
(much like German *entlang*), indicating in most cases direct movement (as
opposed to aimless movement indicated by *rüm* < **herüm < *her+umbe*, *umbe
* 'around', also still in Middle English); e.g. *Hey güng daar langs* (*He g
**üng daar langs*) 'He went there/in that direction/that way', 'He passed by
over there' versus *Hey güng daar r**üm* (*He güng daar r**üm*) 'He walked
about over there', 'He turned the corner over there'; *Daar langs gayt 't na
d'n kroug* (*Daar langs geiht 't na'n Kroog*) 'It's that way to the pub'.

"Bed-fellows," huh? ;-) We need names (and so does Barbara, I'm sure).

Kumpelmenten,