LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.01.12 (04) [E]

Mon Jan 14 07:20:12 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  13 January 2008 - Volume 04

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.01.13 (02) [E]

Ingmar wrote:   "but when North Brabanders are (trying)
speaking Standard Dutch, they usually say "langs": "ik zit langs jou"

Do you think this might be where the nautical expression ' to lie alongside
/ another boat or the harbour wall'   i.e. next to it  comes from?

Lots of English nautical terms come from Dutch / North Sea coastline

Heather