LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.16 (03) [A/E]

Wed Jan 16 17:46:55 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 January 2008 - Volume 03

From: Tom Carty <cartyweb at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.15 (02) [E]

Now, there is something I didnt know!!! However, as states go\ Israel fits
more with Europe than Asia.

Tom Carty

----------

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.15 (03) [E]

Mark,

> Beste Marcel:
>
> Subject: L-Lowlands "Language Education"
>
> Wat van Suid-Afrikaanse Engels? Ek is besig om my meestersgraad op
> Suid-Afrikaanse Engelse fonologie te voltooi. Kif, I says.
>
> Ja, you only picked a larnie subject to swot, ek sê!
>
> I somehow doubt I have *any* contribution to make. My last contact with
> the subject was a cute book on Sao Theffrrican Inglish called 'Ah beeg
> Yors?'. Something more scholarly comes from Rhodes University, Grahamstown,
> but anything I read is probably quite out of date by now, they're a pretty
> scholarly lot there.
>
> Gooi them with a yoffie dissertation anyhow!
>
> Yors,
> Mark

Haha, yaw, I remember that one. "Ah beeg Yors?" I found at CNA at the
airport. Small book, hey? Full of exclamations, anecdotes and other
slang-like things. Remarkable that they give prominence to the phonology
by giving the book such a title, albeit meagre.

The Rhodes University is indeed the place to be when you're into SA English.
In 1996 they issued the Oxford South African English Dictionary (Based on
Historical Principles). Now Jill Wolvaardt has taken the responsibility. I
have visited them a couple of times, and they allowed me to brows through
their files.

Phonologist Ian Bekker is investigating SA English phonology, and a couple
of books on the phonology of World Englishes have been issued by scholars
worldwide. I think that's all we can find about the phonolgy of SA English.

Ron, you wondered where *yoffie* comes from. If Mark doesn't know, I
will look it up in the  Oxford South African English Dictionary. If it is of
Hebrew origin, then could it be related to Dutch *jofel *'sane, sensible,
etc.'?

Best regards,

Marcel.