LL-L "Language history" 2008.01.18 (08) [E]

Sat Jan 19 04:02:13 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 January 2008 - Volume 08

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language history" 2008.01.18 (07) [E]

Hi Elsie, thanks for all the information. I remember reading somewhere that
the VOIC actively tried to hire people to grow vegetables for them. I knew
about the sale of meat, but since Scorbut was their biggest scourge I would
think they needed fruit and veggies above all. If very few farming *families
* showed up and if it was indeed the tradesmen and soldiers who became
Vrijburgers who did the "settling" and who took them selves local wives,
that in and by itself explains the creation of a mixed language.

It is very well possible that some leaders of the VOIC enforced a rule that
only Dutch should be spoken, but others did not. That a mixed language could
grow is certainly also due to the "laisser faire" attitude of the Dutch. The
same happened in New York. That the English won out over the Dutch in North
America is just because they were empire builders and claimed all land that
they settled for the English Crown.

The Dutch were always more interested in trading. The VOC had obtained a
license from the Dutch government that gave them free rule in their trading
areas in South East Asia It was not until after 1800 AD when the VOC went
belly-up that the Dutch government took over their holdings. It is only then
that they start to think about themselves as a Colonial Power and enforced
Dutch as the official language. By that time the Brits had taken over in South
Africa.

You are right in saying "Afrikaans" is a vibrant language. I have used
Lowland Languages to acquaint myself better with it.

It is amazing what you pick up by reading a few e-mails. Yours are always
interesting. Jacqueline