LL-L "Etymology" 2008.01.19 (07) [E]

Sun Jan 20 05:27:13 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  19 January 2008 - Volume 07

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

As for *jofel* , I assume it's all a guessing game when it comes to jargons
like Dutch Bargoens and German Rotwelsch, and unprinted ones are just as
good as printed ones as far as I am concerned.

Van Dale: jofel (1922 'goed') <Jidd. jofe (mooi, aangenaam) <Hebr. japhe

"Joviaal" has its stress on the last syllable in Dutch (not on the first
like in English) and "jofel" on the first, which makes it unlikely to derive
the word from "joviaal" I think.

Theo:

And so we have 'tut / toet / tuut' with the meaning of 'mouth', and there
you go: the link with Oldgermanic.

"Mouth"?! How so?

Een "tut" is a pacifier in Southern Dutch. "Tuit" (?~? Tüte (G)) = something
protruding, tapering off to a point, pouting > lips, mouth. "Toot" is vulgar
for mouth, "een totte" is Flemish for "a kiss" and "een toet" are pouting
lips (and "face" by extension).

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx