LL-L "Traditions" 2008.01.23 (05) [E]

Wed Jan 23 22:24:38 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  23 January 2008 - Volume 05

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Folks,

This thread may well end up under "Etymology," but right now I expect it to
go the "Traditions" way, namely dealing with traditional culture.

I'm revisiting the traditional names of months, partly synthesizing
information we put together years ago and partly adding new information and
rearranging it all. I use Modern Low Saxon as the focus, in part because the
system is still more or less intact in this language. I am adding Old German
data because most of them are closely linked. Unfortunately, there are gaps
as far as Old Frisian and Old Norse are concerned.

I'm convinced that the traditional names of months, many of which are still
in use in many Low Saxon and some Dutch dialects, tell us a lot about
traditional culture and also about history. One thing that seems to show is
that some month names are similar between Continental Old Saxon and Old
English and others are not. I wonder if the case of Old English indicates
that other language varieties donated names to it or if certain changes
occurred in Continental Old Saxon between the exodus to Britain and the
(much later) time when Continental Old Saxon literature began in earnest
with Christianization after Charlemagne's victory.

The old names tell us quite a bit about old-time rural life through the
year. They certainly tell us what stood out about them in the minds of
people then, and there are glimpses at pre-Christian religion as well.

Please find the data below.

I would be interested in additions and insights.

OE = Old English (Anglo-Saxon), OG = Old German, OLF = Old Low Franconian,
OS = Old Saxon,

***

   - *January*:**
      - *Januaar*
      - *Sneemaand* ("snow month")
         - OS *wintarmânuth* ("winter month")
         - OLF *wintarmânôth*
         - OG *wintarmânôd*  [cf. November, December]
         - OE *geohhol* ~ *gēola* ("Yule") [cf. December] ~ *æfterra
         gēola*  ~ *gēola se æfterra* ("after Yule")
         - OG *jârmânôd* ("year month")
      - *February*:
      - *Februaar ~ Feverwaa*r
      - *Horning ~ Hornung *("hoar month")
         - < OS *horningmânôth*
         - OG *hornung*
      - *Lammermaand* ("lambs month")
      - *Fastelavendmaand* ("Shrovetide month")
      - *Schäperwahrdi* ("Watch out, Shepherd!" jocular)
         - OE *solmōnaþ* ("sun month"?)
      - *March*:
      - *Märzmaand* ("March month")
      - *Lentmaand* ("Lent month")
         - < OS *lentînmânuth*
         - OLF *lentinmânôth*
         - OG *lenzinmânôd*
         - OE *hrēþmōnaþ* ("victory month"?)
      - *April*:
      - *April*
      - *Oostermaand*  ("Easter month")
         - < OS *ôstarmânuth*
         - OLF *ôstermânôth*
         - OG *ôstarmânôd*
         - OE *ēastermōnaþ*
      - *May*:
      - *Mai ~ Maimaand* ("May month")
         - OS *winnemânut*h ("bliss month")
         - OLF *winnemânôth*
         - OG *winnimânôd*
         - OE *þrimilcemōna*þ ("three-milks month")
         - OG *drîmilki*
      - *June*:
      - *Juni *
      - *Gillmaand* ("joyous month"?)
      - *Braakmaand* ("fallow month")
         - < OS *brâkmânuth*
         - OLF *brâkmânôth*
         - OG *brâhmânôd*
         - OE *sēremōnaþ* ("fallow month"?)
         - OE *midsumermōnaþ* ("midsummer month")
      - *July*:
      - *Juli*
      - *Haumaand ~ Heumaand* ("hay month")
         - < OS *houwimânuth*
         - OLF *houwimânôth*
         - OG *hewimânôd ~ houwimânôd*
         - OE *mǣdmōnaþ* ("meadow month")
      - *August*:
      - *August*
      - *Augstmaand*
      - *Aarnmaand *("harvest month")
         - < OS *aranmânuth*  [cf. November]
         - OLF *aranmânôth*
         - OG *ar(a)nmânôd*
         - *OE wēodmōnaþ* ("weed/grass month")
      - *September*:
      - *September*
      - *Harvstmaand* ("harvest month")
         - OG *herbistmânôd*  [cf. November]
         - OS *widomânuth* ("wood month")
         - OLF *widumânôth*
         - OG *witumânôd*
         - OS *hêlagmânuth* ("holy month") [cf. Dectember]
         - OE *hāligmōnaþ* ("holy month")
      - *October*:
      - *Oktober ~ Oktobermaand*
      - *Wienmaand* ("wine month")
         - < OS *wînthumemânuth* "grape harvest (vindemiation)
         month")
         - OLF *wînthumemânôth*
         - OG *windumemânôd*
         - OE *winterfylle*þ ("winter fullness")
      - *November*:
      - *Nävelmaand ~ Nevelmaand* ("fog month")
      - *Windmaand* ("wind month")
         - OS *hervistmânuth* ("harvest/autumn month") [cf.
         September]
         - OLF *hervistmânôth*
         - OG *herbistmânôd* [cf. September]
         - OS *blôtmânuth* ("sacrifice month")
         - OE *blōtmōnaþ*
         - OG *wintarmânôd*  ("winter month"] [cf. January,
         December]
      - *December*:
      - *Dezember*
      - *Christmaand* ("Christ month")
      - *Juulmaand* ("Yule month")
         - Old English (OE) *geohhol* ~ *gēol* ("Yule") ~ *
         gēolmōnaþ* ("Yule month") [cf. January, November]
         - OS *hêlagmânuth* ("holy month) [cf. September]
         - OG *heil(ag)mânôd*
         - OLF *heilmânôth*
         - OG *wintarmânôd*  ("winter month") [cf. January]
         - OG *hartimânôd* ("hard month")