LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.25 (04) [E]

Fri Jan 25 17:54:40 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  24 January 2008 - Volume 04

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

The use of dialect on tv in Dutch speaking Belgium has always been a
tricky subject.
Whenever, West Flemish dialect for example, is used, subtitles pop up.
One actor (Wim Opbrouck) decided to launch some kind of (funny)
anti-subtitles campaign. He thinks West Flemish can be well understood,
if only people would be willing to give it a try. Hilarious:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=-wXUCnY1E0o

Personally I have no trouble at all understanding any dialect spoken in
Northern Belgium without subtitles, but I've always been interested in
the subject, so my point of view doesn't really count. Even so, I like
subtitles, because they give me some sort of bonus: I can read the words
a lot faster than they're being pronounced and this enables me to
remember better how interesting words sound in a certain dialect.
Wheras; if there were no subtitles, I would usually understand the
words, but my CPU could be close to 100% busy unscrambling the message
as the person is speaking.

At the same time, I admit that subtitles do create some sort of
emotional distance: drama is not experienced the same way when it is
heard and viewed simultaneously, compared to when you get to read the
words one second in advance.

Set me thinking: do heavy Southern dialects in the US get subtitles on
national tv?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx