LL-L "Language varieties" 2008.01.27 (03) [E]

Sun Jan 27 14:41:16 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 January 2008 - Volume 03

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.25 (03) [E]

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com >
Subject: Phonology

Joachim coined a new name above: Osna-Sassisk

That's funny! It's mixed German-Saxon. If it were all based on Low Saxon it
would have to be *Ossensassisk* "Oxen Saxon," since the local Low Saxon name
for Osnabrück is something like *Ossenbrügge* ("Oxen Bridge," "Oxbridge").

Hi all,
as a speaker of "Mönsterlandisk Platt" too, I have to agree that
"Ossensassisk" which already begins in Tecklenburger Land is already
differen from Münsterländisk Platt. As young rural juvenils we made a joke
of it to imitate: Wi föhrt noah Ossenbrügge "to't friggen."
Playing with phonetics due to puberty, it could have had a different meaning
in my mothertongue, for we were going "to't friien".
Other Examples: De Blomen hebbt den ganzen Suemer blogget. (OS). De Blomen
hebbt den ganze Soamer bleiht. (MS).
Perhaps Joachim and I could fight the battle out,  here in Berlin!

Guetgohn
Heinrich Becker