LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.27 (08) [E/LS]

Sun Jan 27 19:37:37 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 January 2008 - Volume 08

From: Joachim Kreimer-de Fries <Kreimer at jpberlin.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.01.27 [E/LS]

Hey! altohaupe,

27.01.2008 at 15:38 James Ward wrote:
> I find myself practicing, trying to make a velar gamma sound after
> "i".
>  I think I've almost got it.

Congratulation, dear James! Not being used to, the training of it
might be as laboriously as that of "The rain in Spain stays mainly in
the plain!" for Eliza Doolittle in Alan Jay Lerner's "My Fair Lady"...

> There's a whole spectrum in the roof of
> the mouth, and the tongue can make fricative sounds across all of it.
> What fun!

That's it.

My westfälske Kurnoute Heinrich Becker added 27.01.2008

> as a speaker of "Mönsterlandisk Platt" too, I have to agree that
...Osnasassisk, Osnawestfälsk, please!
>  which already begins in Tecklenburger Land

agreed! To cover this little shire explicitly, we had to name it Osna-
Tekla-Westfälsk, or... "Ossen-un-Täckel-Platt", if you really
prefered that, but vengeance is assured, wil'k di man seggen...;-)

> is already differen from Münsterländisk Platt. As young rural
> juvenils we made a joke of it to imitate: Wi föhrt noah
> Ossenbrügge "to't friggen."
> Playing with phonetics due to puberty, it could have had a
> different meaning in my mothertongue, for we were going "to't friien".

In your juvenile rival joking around the prononciation of Osnabrück
you prononced faultily [frign], I suppose, instead of [friʒn] or
[friɣn].

> Perhaps Joachim and I could fight the battle out, here in Berlin!

Dat is en wane goude Vorslagg, leywen Hinnerk, ik schriif di gliiks
en private E-Breyf met miine Telefountaalen unner!

Hi all,
isn't that fantastic: thanks to LL-L I finally meat the first time
someone to have a "Westfälsk Küüren" with! I didn't dare to hope
that!

Man nu wil'k man torre Waulpartie gaun, van wiegen de hüütigen
Waulen in Niiersassen und Hessen.

Goutgoun! Un bet danne, Heinrich!

Joachim Kreimer-de Fries