LL-L "Phonology" 2008.07.06 (05) [E]

Sun Jul 6 21:29:28 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 July 2008 - Volume 05

From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
Subject: Great Vowel Shift

Hi,

   I have been trying to find a dialect or maybe a language which hasn't
been totally affected by the Great Vowel Shift. This would probably help
to know approximately how Old English sounded. Long vowels shifted. So the
word gód in OE (which rhymed with modern low) now sounds /gʊd/.

   An old Dutch priest friend of mine who lived here told me that some
dialects have a different pronunciation for boek, shoe, and other words
where oe would normally sound as modern /u/. Unfortunately he doesn't live
here any more. And he said there were also dialects which had words such
win /ween/ for wine 'Wijn". Which dialect has kept much of the ancient
pronunciation without been affected by the Great Vowel Shift? Can we find
such behavior in german dialects or even English dialects?

Another question:

Take the word goed, which sounded /go:d/ in old Dutch and the word koe,
for instance– Am I right if I say that they only came to sound the same
[oe - /u:/] because of the Great Vowel shift?