LL-L "Phonology" 2008.07.08 (06) [E]

Tue Jul 8 23:29:01 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 July 2008 - Volume 06

From: Travis Bemann <tabemann at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2008.07.08 (04) [E]

> From: Ivison dos Passos Martins <ipm7d at OI.COM.BR>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Hallo agin,
>
>   I finally found a dialect that had something to do with Old German
> buoch > buch. There's a Scandinavian language named Elfdalian.
> Old long o, u, i, y, ø became diphthongized in Elfdalian into uo, au...
>
> (3) bok > buok 'book' But Old German uo becomes u
> (4) hus > aus 'house' see German ou English
> (5) knifr > knaiv 'knife'
>
>   Ívison.

The two are not related aside from both being Germanic languages - the
diphthongizations that occurred in Elfdalian are completely
disconnected from both the diphthongizations that occurred in Old High
German and Old Low Franconian and the monophthongizations that
occurred around the beginning of the Early New High German and Early
New Dutch periods. Rather, they most likely tie into the
diphthongizations that occurred in many other Middle Norse dialects
(which have in many cases been since lost), as Elfdalian really is
just an offshoot of Middle Norse which has largely been insulated from
the changes towards analysis which have occurred in much of the rest
of continental North Germanic (compared to other continental North
Germanic dialects) while at the same time having its own innovations
independent of such.