LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.09 (02) [E]

Wed Jul 9 18:38:24 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 09 July 2008 - Volume 02

From: KarlRein at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.08 (07) [E]

About all this discussion of a singular pronoun of undetermined sex, I am of
the
age from when  "he" was the required word according to school, and we
thought anyone
who said "they" etc. as in "Everybody must put down their pencils" evoked
a tsk tsk from those of us who "knew better."

But my wonderful college freshman English professor came up with evidence of
the
ridiculousness of following rules thoughtlessly: "He tells everyone he is
crazy," because
"everyone" must be referred to as "he" no matter what.

I would say that "I saw a person and they... (if er uh their sex is unknown)
IS the right
option.  Sixty years ago I would have of course agreed with Ivison.

Karl Reinhardt

 In a message dated 7/8/2008 6:35:56 P.M. Central Daylight Time,