LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.13 (05) [E]

Mon Jul 14 00:19:26 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L  - 13 July 2008 - Volume 05

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.13 (03) [E/LS]

> From: Felix Hülsey <felix.huelsey at gmx.de>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon"
>
> Hi all,
>
> ... and don't forget Dutch "paddestoel",
> exactly the same meaning.
[...]

Felix,

conc. paddestoel, I remember to have said something about it some years ago.

The Dutch always used 'zwam' voor  'paddestoel'.
But after ab. 1850 we find  'paddestoel' and this word got more and more
popular.
I guess because of translations from English into Dutch of fairy tales and
that kind of stuff.
English 'stool' isn't the same as 'stoel', but 'paddestoel' sounded humorous
and fairy tale-like.

vr. gr.
Theo Homan