LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.17 (06) [E]

Thu Jul 17 23:56:43 UTC 2008

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 July 2008 - Volume 06

From: Kevin & Cheryl Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2008.07.17 (02) [E]

Ah, but you can also say the following and still be understood (though some
may find these a bit ambiguous):

Reinhard the book to Jonny gives.

The book to Jonny Reinhard gives.

To Jonny the book does Reinhard give.

To Jonny Reinhard gives the book.

A lot of the intelligibility relies on voice inflection and gesturing while
talking (or other visual clues). Otherwise no one would have understood Yoda
in the Star Wars movies.

Kevin Caldwell