LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.24 (07) [D/E]

Thu Jul 24 21:22:40 UTC 2008

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 July 2008 - Volume 07

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.24 (04) [E]

Beste Leo en Robert,

"Icoon" is the normal Dutch word for icon, its pronunciation in English
spellig is "ee-cone". So no "coon" in here, Robert. But why not make it a
bit more international as "IDicon", with only one o, Leo?

Groeten,

Ingmar

En geef mij maar liever bier, met deze hitte ;-)

From: "Leo Aerts" <Leo.K.E.AERTS at village.uunet.be>
Subject: Spijkers op laag water noemt men dat ook

You are right Robert, indeed, for now I am trying to find an American list
tot protest the word Lullaby, because a part of it means for certain
people,
in certain regions, "stupido" in Dutch.

En toen was er thee¦

Vriendelijke groeten,

Leo Flandriae

Citing:
From: Robert Haslach <roberthaslach at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2008.07.23 (01) [E]

Dear LL-ers - "coon" in American idiom appears in racoon, but also as a
derogatory signifier for people whose skin is a darker color than that of
the dominant group.
I might not use Idicoon - which strikes me as a contraction of idiot coon

en toen was er koffie...

regards,
Robert Haslach

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Ingmar, you asked above:

"Icoon" is the normal Dutch word for icon, its pronunciation in English
spellig is "ee-cone". So no "coon" in here, Robert. But why not make it a
bit more international as "IDicon", with only one o, Leo?

Yeah, this clears up what stumped me too: the double "oo" which simply won't
do internationally. (I even tried the "oö" pronunciation to try to make
sense of it.)

I rather like "IDicon" for "avatar". If it is supposed to stand for
"gravatar" it would be missing the equivalent of the "GR" part, which stands
for "globally recognized."

Would that make it "GRIDicon"?

P.S.: Folks, please remember that you must leave the subject line as is. Do
not create your own if you respond to a posting.
Rules and Guidelines: http://lowlands-l.net/rules.php